Sunday, November 21, 2010

Gravlax

It's a bit nontraditional (in my family, anyway), but I'll be bringing Gravlax for our Thanksgiving  hors d'oeuvres this year.


To make gravlax, you will need two salmon fillets (fresh is preferable but pre-frozen will do), equal parts sugar and salt (I used light brown sugar), enough to thoroughly cover both fillets and any flavoring ingredients you'd like to add (I used dill for this batch. For my Thanksgiving gravlax I'll be using fennel and lemon and orange zest). Coat your salmon generously with the sugar-salt combination and your flavorings. Place fillets skin sides out one atop the other. Place in a container to catch the juices (they will flow). Cover just the top of your salmon sandwich with plastic wrap and weight down (see water filled mason jars). Refrigerate about 15 hours. Rinse the salt pack off of the salmon under very cold water, pat dry. Slice by holding a knife at a sharp angle and working head to tail in direction. Serve!


I made this salad with my gravlax after being inspired by a similar salad at a restaurant recently. Gravlax and chevre on mixed greens with olive oil and cracked pepper. Simple and amazing.




XO, Debbie

No comments:

Post a Comment