Wednesday, November 24, 2010

For the love of pie.

In another life, I would have been on here weeks ago posting all sorts of yummy Thanksgiving recipe ideas I'd come up with to share but as it stands, my family attends Thanksgiving dinner at my Mother's house each year. Prepping for me involves mixing up one or two dishes to bring along and getting the kids dressed and into their holiday best. It's like there's this holiday that was practically designed for me, what with all the food and the pie and the gratitude and the stressing out over perfection that I'm only half participating in. Not that anyone's complaining. Mom's got the Louisiana oyster (oh my god) stuffing and the perfect little orange cups stuffed with spiced yams. So I'll bring along my garlic green beans sans fried things and my gravlax snacks, and this pie.

apple-walnut pie with cheddar cheese crust
 


I left out the green chiles, as some of my relatives may not be bold enough for that. Apples and cheese are a favorite flavor combination of mine. Combining them in a pie is just so right. Try it!

garlic green beans sans fried things

2 pounds french green beans, steamed al dente
1 Tbsp. good quality olive oil
1-2 tsp. salt, to taste
1-2 tsp. granulated sugar, to taste
2 cloves finely chopped fresh garlic


-While beans are still piping hot from steaming, toss with olive oil, garlic, 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp sugar, adding more of each to taste. 


-Super simple, but everybody loves 'em.


Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.


XO, Debbie

No comments:

Post a Comment