Thursday, September 16, 2010

fermenting vegetables

I'm a germophobe of near Seinfeld proportions. Back in culinary school when I took my safety and sanitation class, my grade on that test certified me to teach the course. While I've made refrigerator jams and pickles for quite awhile, canning came much later for me. I always felt uncertain that I'd manage it without poisoning the lot of us. And yet, while studying up on canning and pickling to reassure myself, I came across a lot of websites and books about fermenting foods. Live fermentation is the process of canning without heat by chopping foods, then layering them with salt and spices, then mashing them to help them release their own juices. The sugars in the vegetables release juices containing lactic acid which help to preserve the food. A live yogurt culture can be added for additional lactic acid. Though this is really a scarier prospect than heat canning, I gave it a whirl. And man, am I glad I did. This was my first (okay, third... I threw out the first two batches. paranoia.) experiment with live fermentation.

Fermented Sauerkraut Recipe:
 
Equipment: large container, canning funnel, potato masher, meat pounder or pestle, a weight of some sort (I used a jar filled with water), jar for canning (an old jar is fine for this) -sterilizing all equipment is a smart measure)


Ingredients: 
  • 2 cups well washed cabbage, reserve three outside leaves and chop remainder
  • 2-3 radishes, diced
  • pickling salt or kosher salt, lots
  • spices: I used mustard seed, fennel seed, black peppercorns, and coriander seed
  • 2 Tbsp. yogurt starter (not essential, but it does reassure me)
Directions:
  •  In large container, place a layer of shredded cabbage and radishes and some spices. Salt well. Repeat with all ingredients, in layers. Add your lactic acid source, if using. Place reserved leaves on top of mixture and use potato masher, meat pounder or pestle to pound your ingredients. Continue to do this until liquid rises above your mash by at least 1/2 in. 
  • Lay weight on top. Some people use a filled bag, I used a large jar full of water.
  • Keep submerged and out in the open for 3-4 days, checking for "scum" on top. If this happens, it is still safe, so long as your ingredients are still submerged. Scrape it and continue on.
  • Transfer into sterilized jar where it will be well-packed and seal tight.
  • Fermenting in a temp. of 70-75 degrees takes 3-4 months, cooler temps will take a bit longer.  You can certainly have some prior to the 3 month mark, but it will gain a lot in flavor with time.
  • Can be kept out without refrigeration, when you indulge in some just be sure the bulk you leave behind is submerged in the liquid and keep the jar well-sealed.


                                  mashing the kraut

                                                             adding weight

XO, Debbie




No comments:

Post a Comment