Monday, September 27, 2010

crock pot yogurt!

If you're a fan of the crock pot, here's a recipe for you from Nourishing Days http://www.nourishingdays.com/2009/02/make-yogurt-in-your-crock-pot/ . I made this yesterday and aside from having to add the nonfat dry milk powder to thicken it as I'd seen some people suggest for this method, I had pretty good success with it. I think the milk powder would be entirely unnecessary (and not only do I hate the idea, but I can feel a little grittiness to the yogurt using the powder) if it weren't for my crock pot not reaching the proper temperature after the 2-1/2 hours, causing me to have to open the lid several times to check the temp., several times dripping the condensation back into the pot. Next time I'll try doing it on high, lid off, while regularly monitoring the temp. then follow the other directions and see how that goes.

As with the stove top method, be certain to sterilize your crock, containers and all utensils before making yogurt. 

Do follow up and tell me the outcome if you try this or the stove top yogurt method here: http://figpudding.blogspot.com/2010/08/yogurt.html, I'd love to hear about it!


 XO, Debbie

No comments:

Post a Comment